Sunday, May 31, 2009

Count Down to the 24Hours of Erock Solo Race

It is Sunday morning May 31st and I am counting down to the start of the 24 Hours of ERock on Friday June 5th. The race will start at 18:30 on Friday and end at 18:30 on Saturday evening. I'll be riding this race solo again this year.

I have high expectations of myself for this race. I am also feeling the pressure of knowing that there are many interested people who will be watching and waiting to see the results of my efforts. Quite frankly I am a little nervous, I had great difficulty during last years race especially over night with the worst abdominal cramps that I've ever experienced on a bike. This course while beautiful and has views of Pikes Peak and the front range gets boring as you continue to turn more and more 8.25 mile laps.

Endurance racing is not only physical it also relies heavily on the mental toughness and commitment to pushing through difficult periods of pain, suffering and feelings of self doubt. I cannot tell anyone why any of us do these races I suppose, in part, that it is a sense of accomplishment of doing something that most people won't even consider. There is also an endorphin high that comes with participating in these long events.

Here are answers to some questions that I get asked frequently:

Why would you do something like this?
Answer: I can't easily answer that question... see above.

Doesn't your butt get sore?
Answer: It can and it will however with sufficient training you build up a tolerance to long hours in the saddle. Clothing selection plays a significant roll in how well or poorly the body tolerates the hours in the saddle. We all use special cycling shorts which have a built in pad that greatly helps in transporting moisture (sweat) away from the skin and helps cushion the sit bones of the pelvis from the saddle.

Do you ever stop? Do you get breaks?
Answer: This race is run through a pit area each 8.25 mile lap. I'll stop after each lap hopefully just for a few seconds to get another water bottle and more fuel. A racer may stop as much as they like but any time spent stopped is wasted. My strategy is 'never stop' which means I'll spend as little time as possible stationary. A slow lap is better than no lap.

What do you eat?
Answer: I'll use a blend of liquid fuel and electrolyte supplements from Hammer Nutrition. As the race progresses I will use some solid food like bananas, bagels, fruit, pretzels, sliced turkey, etc. I don't eat much solid food but it tastes good as the race progresses and helps me feel more satisfied than the liquid fuel does.

When do you eat?
I eat (or as we say, 'fuel') on the bike. I have small bottles called flasks which have my premixed liquid fuel in it. I'll also grab solid fuel like part of a bagel in my jersey pocket and eat it on the course.

Do you have a crew to support you?
Answer: My definition of a crew is a person or people who can think for you when you are in the pits. They will fix issues with the bike, tell you lap positions, help make strategy decisions, make sure you are eating and drinking and generally help you get back out on the course faster. Asking someone to give up essentially 1/2 of their weekend, stay up all night and sit around for 23 hours with little to do while they spend 1 hour actually 'working' is tough to do.

So for this race officially no however, the Well Within Chiropractic team of Dr Joel and his wife will be there for some time. I do have a friend(s) who are fellow racers who will check in on me from time to time. It is really nice to see a familiar face and a warm friendly smile when I enter my pit area.

What are the other racers like?
Answer: Mountain bike racers and riders are notoriously friendly and helpful. Often we are encouraging each other on the course. We will give out tubes when someone has a flat, tools, advice and help when another racer needs it. I can't tell you how nice it is to get passed by another rider who simply says 'Good job! Keep hammering!!'.

What happens if it rains?
Answer: It's a mixed bag, you race in the same conditions as everyone else. As I've written about in other blog entries, typically you just keep on riding. However, some races can get cancelled or delayed etc. I've had races stopped prematurely due to heavy rain, hail and lightening. The best you can do is be prepared for every type of weather and condition possible. This means everything from the bike setup to clothing choices.

Will you ride the same bike for the whole race?
Answer: Hopefully yes but this year I am very fortunate to have my Yeti 575 as a back up to my new full Carbon Yeti. I'll stage the 575 in my pit so if I have a problem with the Carbon bike I'll simply switch to the heavier bike.

How do you pace yourself?
Answer: I study the course, look at previous race results, look at my previous performance and make a call as to what I want my average time to be. Pacing is very difficult especially during the first couple of laps. I naturally want to go out hard but that expends too much energy so I have to go out slow and remain steady and consistent in my effort. I will also start at the very back of the pack during the race start which helps me keep a better pace.

How well do you expect to do during this years race?
Answer: I have some goals and expectations but they are personal for now and I won't discuss them until the race is done the dust settles.

I'll continue to answer questions as they come in...

Thanks again for everyone's support and encouragement. Thanks especially to the Well Within Chiropractic team of professionals, with out your skill and commitment I would never be able to toe the start line and perform at the level that I am capable of. Thanks to my partners at PowerQuip who support me and my customers with every aspect of our business. I am eternally greatful for the support of everyone for my riding and racing.

Life is Short... Enjoy the Ride

No comments: