Monday, June 1, 2009

Gut Check

I've just had a real gut check. All of us are human, frail and subject to illness and injury. It doesn't matter how fit or unfit we are there is always a risk of injury or illness. Somethings could potentially be prevented, others can't.

I've had some great training rides this last week. Big ring climbing, excellent descending, road and mountain rides. I've spent time riding with people who are very talented and gifted athletes. To be able to swing a leg over the bike and to ride the same trails and roads with these folks is a great privilege to me.

My first gut check came when my friend and I were witness to a terrible auto accident that we think left someone dead. My friend's statement was so simple and clear... you never know, life is too short...

So the second gut check came this morning after my normal routine of getting coffee & breakfast and some light stretching. While I was sitting at my desk my lower right side of my back started to spasm and seized up. If you have had back problems you know what I'm talking about, it's the kind of pain that is absolutely debilitating. It takes your breath and won't allow you to sit, stand or walk, you are kind of frozen in place unable to move.

All I could think of is the 24 Hour Solo on Friday this week. I called Dr. Joel at Well Within Chiropractic, he got me in before he opened for his afternoon sessions. He carefully worked on me and gave me instructions of icing etc. I'll see him again tomorrow so I'm hopeful that he can get straightened out before Friday. If anyone can help me, it is Well Within Chiropractic. Thanks again to Dr. Joel and his excellent staff! I'll see you tomorrow.

Life is Short... Enjoy the Ride

No comments: