Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Mt. Evans... Hill Climb

I've been wanting to do the Mount Evans ride for a long time and I've never driven up this way but I finally decided to go get some altitude training and get a good hill climb in on Mt. Evans. This mountain boasts the highest paved auto road in the nation. The parking lot at the top is at 14,130'. I started at the ranger station which is about 14 miles below. According to my altimeter I climbed about 3,500' over about 14 miles.





I used this ride to get some light power work in but my legs were feeling it from the day prior so I didn't push really hard (big gears). What I did do to keep this a bit more challenging was to ride my 575 mountain bike which weighs about 30#. It has nice 2.3" fat, nobie tires on it so I let out as much air as I dared to give me the greatest rolling resistance as I headed up the hill.



Now anyone who knows me or who follows this blog will know that I'm all about a challenge... so armed with my 575 with semi flat tires, I started up the hill with the intent of catching and passing road bike riders. My other goal was not to let anyone catch me or pass me.

I caught several roadies about 1/2 way to the summit. I got a kick out of one guy's reaction as I slowly passed him... we both said good morning and hello and as he got a look at my trusty 575... I heard him mudder... 'A mountain bike???!!!, you have to be kidding me!!!'.


It took me almost 2 hours to make the summit and about 45 minutes to come down. The road was covered with snow in spots up top and it was wicked windy and bitter cold, I'd guess it to be right around freezing. I didn't stay long up top, just long enough to take a couple of quick photos, put on a jacket and head down the hill to toward a pizza at Beajeaus in Idaho Springs!

If you are ever in the area, bring your bike... or just drive to the summit, it's worth the views!

No comments: