Tuesday, January 20, 2009

BreckEpic, Mountain Bike Stage Race

It was very late late a few nights ago and after much soul searching and contemplation that I finally talked myself into signing up for the BreckEpic Mountain Bike Stage Race. I submitted my deposit to hold a spot on the start line of the first ever mountain bike stage race to be held in the Good Old USA. The race is scheduled for July 5 - 10, that's right 6 days of back-to-back races out of the ski town of Breckenridge Colorado.


The race promoter promises a mostly single track event which will be truly amazing to put together even in Breck which boasts great trails and picturesque, percipitous terrain. I suspect that this race will attract the best of the best so I'm not sure what I was thinking when I signed up for this 'soul crusher'.


Anyhow, for those unfamilar with stage racing, as I am, these are the basics of the game; Ride each stage (one per day) and get a time for each one, add the 6 times for the week and that's where you place relative to your competition. The interesting thing about stage races seems to be that you can have good days and bad and still have an overall good (or bad) race. I have no idea how my body will respond to this kind of abuse but I am now destined find out.

My racing experience so far has been a single hard race of 50 - 100 miles or 24 hours solo followed by about a week of 'active' recovery and rest. I'll have to rethink my stage racing strategy so that I don't 'blow up' from too much exertion too soon and not be recovered for the next day.


I've got some good mentors who will be able to help me understand what I need to do and what I need to avoid.

2 comments:

Petersbike said...

Nice bold move my friend.
Sounds like a good time .
Walt

Tiffanie said...

Hey Sean!
Good luck! Troy and I are always amazed with your energy and drive to do new and challenging things. We should take your example and get our butts movin. Running 15 miles/week is good for us. Keep us posted.